The biotech industry has quietly inserted a dangerous policy rider into the Continuing Resolution (CR) now being debated on the Senate floor. This dangerous rider was not included in the House-passed CR, and we are extremely disappointed to see that the Senate has included it. Though wrapped in a “farmer-friendly” package, this Monsanto-driven rider is simply a biotech industry ploy to continue to plant GE crops even when a court of law has found they were approved illegally.
The rider is intended to force USDA to deregulate GE crops even if a Federal court rules that USDA hadn’t adequately considered the environmental or economic risks to farmers. This would negate any meaningful judicial review of USDA’s decisions to allow commercialization of GE crops. If a GE crop approval was shown to violate the law and require further analysis of its harmful impacts (as several courts have concluded in recent years; GE alfalfa and GE sugar beets, for example) this provision would override any court-mandated caution and allow continued planting while further review takes place. Further, it forces USDA to approve permits for such continued planting immediately, putting industry completely in charge by allowing for a “back door approval” mechanism.
As if all of that were not enough, this provision is totally unnecessary. This rider would be better titled the “Monsanto assurance provision” since no farmer has ever had his or her crops destroyed. Every court to decide these issues has carefully weighed the interests of farmers, as is already required by law.
Tell your Senators to demand Appropriations Chairwoman Mikulski pull this dangerous and unconstitutional rider, and to support any amendment that would strike the rider from the Continuing Resolution.
Connect with Enlightened Lotus Wellness
- The Monsanto Pandora’s Box Nightmare of GMO Global Genocide: Unleashed and Irreversible. (thelibertybeacon.com)
- How One 75-Year-Old Soybean Farmer Could Deal A Blow To Monsanto’s Empire Today (thinkprogress.org)
- US farmers flood fields with dangerous poison to fight Monsanto superweeds (countdowntozerotime.org)
- Monsanto and GMO’s Condensed with Sources (evanbatterton.wordpress.com)
- What it Means that Monsanto Holds the Patents on Life (alternet.org)
- New CFS Report Exposes Devastating Impact Of Monsanto Practices On U.S. Farmers (shiftfrequency.com)