For this week’s Meatless Monday recipe I am sharing with you the veggie rice bowl recipe I am going to cook for dinner tomorrow, I have adapted it from the July 2012 issue of Cooking Light, it is a healthy and an economical choice. To give the brown rice more flavor, I cook it in vegetable stock after rinsing it under cold water for 45 seconds. If you want to make this a vegan meal, just leave out the cheese
Veggie Rice Bowls
1 1/3 cups cooked brown rice, cooled
1 cup greens (try arugula, watercress or whatever is your favorite)
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup fresh basil, torn
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
2 tsp. lemon rind, grated
3 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp. coarse ground unrefined sea salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp. organic grapeseed oil, divided
2 cups zucchini, chopped
Fresh Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Combine the first 9 ingredients in a large bowl, toss until well blended. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp. of the oil to the pan, add zucchini, sauté 4 minutes.
- Add zucchini and remaining oil to rice mixture. Top with cheeses and enjoy!
How have you been doing with the first Wellness Challenge? Has incorporating Meatless Monday been harder or easier than you thought? Please leave a comment, I love to hear your feedback, and as always if you have any questions, please let me know, I am here to help!
- Meatless Monday- Stuffed Round Zucchinis (kabcphotography.wordpress.com)
- Meatless Monday with Black Bean Tostadas with Corn Relish (planetforward.ca)
- Featured Recipe: Vegetarian Meatless Meatballs (fitnesslovingmom.com)
- Meatless Monday: Mushroom and Spinach Risotto (wholesomecook.wordpress.com)
- Meatless Monday: Asian purple cabbage salad with a creamy cilantro vinaigrette (csmonitor.com)
- Meatless Monday | Paradise Island Bean Burgers (frugalveganscrapbooker.typepad.com)
- Mushroom curry (monfoodblog.com)