Keep your garden pest-free with essential oils! Try mixing 8 ounces of water in a spray bottle with ½ teaspoon Castile soap and 12 drops of essential oil. Remember to shake the bottle frequently to keep the oil mixed with the water.
- Ants: Peppermint (Add a line of peppermint to the window or door seals)
- Aphids: Peppermint, Sandalwood, White Fir
- Beetles: Peppermint, Thyme
- Chiggers: Lavender, Lemongrass, Thyme
- Cutworm: Thyme
- Flies: Basil, Clove, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Peppermint, Rosemary
- Gnats: Patchouli
- Mosquitoes: Lavender, Lemongrass
- Moths: Lavender, Peppermint
- Plant Lice: Peppermint
- Slugs: White Fir
- Snails: Patchouli, White Fir
- Spiders: Peppermint
- Ticks: Lavender, Lemongrass, Thyme
- Weevils: Patchouli, Sandalwood, Cedarwood
PRO TIP: You can try putting a couple drops on a cotton ball and placing it near the area. That should help the aroma last longer.
Vinegar: I use Vinegar for cleaning, but had no idea it was also a versatile outdoor option! Did you know vinegar is a natural herbicide? I sure didn’t! You can use it to kill weeds in unwanted places! All you do is pour full-strength distilled vinegar on them. I thought this was a great option for those annoying cracks and crevices in the walkways and driveway! And much safer than Roundup which has been linked to a variety of health problems. Vinegar will kill grass though, so be careful not to have it over spray onto your grass!
Here are a few other suggestions for vinegar:
- Give acid loving plants an extra boost by watering them with a vinegar solution occasionally. A cup of vinegar to a gallon of water.
- Preserve cut flowers and refresh droopy ones by adding 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar and 1 teaspoon sugar to a quart of water in a vase.
- Wash garden vegetables with a mixture of 1 tablespoon of white distilled vinegar in 1 1/2 quarters of water. Add 1-2 drops lemon essential oils to boost the cleaning power
- Kill slugs by spraying them with a mixture of equal parts water and white vinegar.
To purchase certified pure therapeutic grade essential oils, , please contact me via email or by calling 720-588-0313.