Summer is the time of the barbecue, gathering with friends and family and enjoying the best summer has to offer, is an awesome way to spend any day! Barbecue staple foods are not always the healthiest choices so if you would like to offer some meatless choices at your next barbecue, here is some inspiration!
If you would like to submit your own meatless recipe to be featured, submit it here.
Mexican Black Bean Burgers:
Makes 6 Burgers
For the Pico de Gallo:
3 Roma Tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
1-2 Hot Peppers (jalapeno, serrano, habanero-depending on your taste preference), seeded and finely chopped
1/2 of a lime
1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil or sunflower oil
1 tsp. organic agave syrup
1 tsp. cumin
2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
unrefined sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
2 15.5 oz. can no-salt added black beans, drained and rinsed, divided
1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
1/2 Red bell pepper, stemmed seed and finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs (wheat if you can find them)
3 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. grapeseed oil
2 large eggs
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano, dried
1/2 tsp. unrefined sea salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
6 Whole-wheat or multi-grain buns; or for an added Mexican twist serve on toasted corn tortillas
1 Large avocado, seeded, peeled, and sliced
- To make Pico: Combine all ingredients in a glass or ceramic dish, stir well to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or up to to allow flavors to blend.
- Combine panko breadcrumbs with 2 tsp. oil in a small bowl, toss to combine. Toast breadcrumbs in skillet over medium heat until golden. Remove from heat, cool completely.
- Place 2 1/2 cups black beans in a large bowl. Mash beans with fork until mostly smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, 1 tbsp. oil, cumin, salt, oregano, and cayenne. Whisk until well blended. Add egg mixture, cooled panko breadcrumbs, remaining beans, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and cilantro to the mashed beans. Stir until evenly combined. Divide into 6 equal portions. Lightly pack into 1 inch patties. (May be covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours before cooking).
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in skillet over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. cook patties 4 minutes on each side or until well browned. (Add 1 tbsp. oil to skillet for each batch of patties that you cook)
- Serve on buns or tortillas topped with sliced avocado and pico. For variety this burger is also good with traditional burger toppings, just serve the pico with chips instead. Enjoy!
Grilled Portobello Burgers with Avocado Spread:
Makes 4 Burgers
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce or low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. grapeseed oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
4 Large Portobello mushroom caps
1 Large avocado,seeded, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup no-fat plain, regular or Greek-style yogurt
2 tbsp. cilantro
2 tsp. lime juice
1 clove garlic
Dash cayenne pepper
unrefined sea salt to taste
4 Wheat or Multi-grain buns
Tomato slices (1/4 inch thick)
4 Green leaf lettuce leaves
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl, whisk well. Place mushroom caps in a 13 x 9 glass or ceramic baking dish, pour vinegar mixture over mushrooms, turn to coat. Cover and allow to marinate at room temperature for 2 hours or in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Pre-heat grill to medium.
- While grill is preheating, combine avocado, yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, cayenne pepper and salt in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy, set aside.
- Place mushrooms, gill side down on a grill rack, lightly brushed with grapeseed oil. Grill 4 minutes on each side. Toast buns.
- In place of mayo use the avocado spread on toasted buns, top grilled mushrooms with lettuce and tomato. Enjoy!!
If you would like me to give you a healthy alternative for your favorite food, let me know, I would love to help! Email me here.
Have you tried this recipe, let me know how you liked it, leave a comment!
- Meatless Monday Recipe: Grilled Veggie Melts (enlightenedlotuswellness.com)
- Smoky Southwest Portobello Burger with Sundried Tomato-Adobo Spread (blogher.com)
- Friday’s Recipe – Turkey Guacamole Burgers (fitnesslovingmom.com)
- Tasty Vegan Ranch Dressing (itseasybeingvegan.com)